Embedded Software Engineer - Crewe / Home Working
- Job Reference: 00000013-1
- Date Posted: 5 September 2018
Saxon Recruitment Solutions Ltd
- Location: Crewe, Cheshire
- Salary: £40,000 to £45,000
- Sector: All Jobs
- Job Type: Permanent
- Work Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Steve Saxon
- Email: email@example.com
Embedded Software Engineer - Crewe / Home Working.
Commutable from Crewe, Chester, Warrington, Northwich, Newcastle Under Lyme.
Embedded Software, Embedded C, C++, Linux, Software Engineer, Software Developer, Programmer, Firmware.
This is an unrivalled opportunity for an experienced Senior Embedded Software Engineer / Software Developer with good Embedded C, C++, and ideally Linux (applications and kernel/drivers) skills, with an understanding of communications protocols, multiprocessing / multithreading. It is a perfect role for an experienced Embedded Software Engineer looking for a position that respects both knowledge and experience and carries the responsibility of independent work.
This is a small market-leading Development Company for Embedded Software and Hardware, with clients in a wide range of industries including Digital Video, Rail, Transport and Safety Critical. The Embedded Software Engineer will join a small multi-disciplined expert engineering team which designs and develops innovative products and control systems for a wide variety of clients from SME's to blue chip companies.
Responsibilities include gathering user requirements, defining system functionality and writing code particularly using embedded C or C++, but experience of other languages would be advantageous. The ideal candidates are familiar with the full software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment and be able to work independently, with good, innovative problem-solving skills.
Ultimately, the role of the Software Engineer is to build high-quality, innovative and fully performing software that complies with coding standards and technical design, so the successful candidate must be able to work with attention to detail, accuracy and to work under pressure to deadlines.
It is a rare, unique position which requires technical expertise, excellent communication skills and flexibility as some of their team operate remotely. Although ideally office based, working from home will also be an option. You would be based in Crewe for the first 3 or 4 weeks then working from Home the rest of the time. This would entail going into the Crewe office one or two days a month. This position offers great scope for using your industry experience to bring proven solutions from one industry sector into others.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and qualities :
- C, C++, Embedded Linux with at least 5 years’ industry experience as an Embedded Software Engineer.
- Knowledge or experience of digital video encoding/decoding (including GStreamer) and/or train communication software would be an advantage.
- Hold a software engineering or electronics degree or equivalent.
- A background of industrial control and monitoring / SCADA would be beneficial, but not essential.
- Excellent verbal, written and telephone communication skills.
- Be an innovative problem solver, capable of thinking ‘outside the box’.
- Able to work with meticulous attention to detail, accuracy and under pressure to meet deadlines.
There is work on a broad range of product design and development. Although sometimes challenging, there is always something new to work on and as such makes the role both interesting and exciting. Excellent, technically challenging opportunities offering variety, freedom and flexibility to design and develop Products.