Software Engineering Manager / Embedded Software Manager - Edinburgh / WFH
This Innovative Leader in Mission-Critical Embedded Software Applications for the Industrial, Aerospace and Defence markets are seeking a Software Engineering Manager / Embedded Software Manager to work in Edinburgh with some remote working.
This is a fantastic and rare opportunity for an experienced Software Engineering Manager / Embedded Software Manager to join the Networking Innovation Centre, Graphics, Video, of a very successful and growing organisation.
Their Edinburgh based Networking R&D centre is a small (10 people), growing, autonomous group that is responsible for all aspects of development, implementation, test, release and ongoing maintenance of their powerful Embedded Linux based, open source Network Management software, which provides the switch management functionality for all of their high availability, low latency switch products. This software is entirely developed, supported and released from the Edinburgh Networking Centre, so you will be responsible for and work across the full product lifecycle.
The Embedded Software Manager / Software Engineering Manager will lead a small focused team of professional and highly experienced software engineers, developing and supporting sophisticated Linux based open source Network management software products. The team is responsible for the whole software development lifecycle, from initial requirements gathering and analysis, through to product delivery. The successful candidate will provide oversight of ongoing projects and interface with Product Management, Sales, and customers to provide a clear strategy and roadmap. He/she will foster a culture of continuous improvement within the team and drive the development of new talented engineers joining the team.
A background in Embedded Software Development and Networking technologies is highly desirable. In addition to fulfilling the job requirements, the ideal candidate will be capable of inspiring the team and taking it to the next level.
Key job Responsibilities for the Embedded Software Manager / Software Engineering Manager include :
- Reporting to the UK Software Engineering Manager, manage and resource the software team to enable it to fulfil the software product deliveries - additional platform support, features and bug fixes.
- Interface with Product Management and Sales. Ensure that realistic plans are created for products and projects, and progress is tracked.
- Be the voice of the Networking Innovation Centre within the company, worldwide.
- Foster and expand opportunities to collaborate with other software groups within the company and drive a common approach and practices where applicable.
- Creation and maintenance of the software release roadmap ensuring that customer requirements are addressed, and that the networking software is ported to new platforms.
- Regular interactions with key customers - facilitating technical exchanges, information sessions, pre-sales support to clarify requirements to customise the software.
- Collaborate with hardware engineers and manufacturing resources based in UK and US.
- Define Goal and Objectives, drive an overall vision for the Networking Team, aligned with the companies top level priorities.
- Identify and drive the implementation of best practices and process improvements - Agile, CI/CT, Security improvements, tool usage.
- Line management of engineers - reviews, appraisals, coaching and regular 121s - ensuring that engineers have clear goals which are regularly reviewed, identify training needs to support career progression within Engineering.
- Site lead for the Edinburgh site - budget responsibility, office management.
This is an unrivalled opportunity for a capable Software Engineering Manager to join a small but capable autonomous Networking R&D centre that is part of a larger Group. You will enjoy all the benefits associated with product ownership within a small dynamic R&D environment, yet still have the financial and technology backing and resources of the parent company.