Firmware Engineer / Electronics Design Engineer x2 - Edinburgh, Cumbria or Aberdeen or WFH
This award winning organisation which specialises in the Development of high performance Sensors for the Underwater Markets are looking for an experienced Firmware Engineer / Electronics Design Engineer / Hardware Design Engineer x2 to work on exciting and technically challenging projects in Acoustic / Sonar Technology. This combines state of the art software, electronic hardware and firmware, with product designs capable of withstanding deep oceans.
The Firmware Engineer will play a key role within the multi-disciplinary Design team. The design team specialises in mechanical and electronic hardware, acoustics, application software and embedded software (CPU and FPGA). The Firmware Engineer will be responsible for firmware design to form part of a multichannel analogue and digital signal sampling system required to operate in real time. The roles will be based either at the state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Cumbria, on the edge of the lake district national park, or in the other R&D offices in either Edinburgh or Aberdeen.
The ideal skills and experience for the Firmware Engineer / Electronic Design Engineer include :
- Electronics degree or similar qualification
- Experience in FPGA designs, VHDL or Verilog, high speed digital design
- Experience of working with Xilinx devices (Spartan, Virtex, Ultrascale, Ultrascale+) and the Xilinx development platforms (Vivado, Vitis)
- The use of lab-based test and measurement equipment
- Knowledge of DSP, Altium Designer, C Programming.
The Firmware Engineer / Electronics Design Engineer responsibilities include :
• Design and development of Firmware for Sonar equipment: VHDL or Verilog
• Simulation, test benches, synthesis and timing closure for each design
• New product inception, definition, design and testing
• Systems design through digital signal processing
• Keeping the design teams up to speed with the latest firmware development tools.
These are very interesting projects on the control/display of a range of sensors including sonar, video, 3D visualisation and positioning/surveying devices. You can actually see the Product evolving before your eyes. A rewarding career within a culture of trust and innovation with the opportunity to make a real difference within a high-tech, exporting SME. The company culture is very professional with a commitment to Quality, continuous training & development, supported by excellent staff retention.