R&D Manager / Lead Engineer - Near Durham
Commutable from Sunderland, Durham, Washington, Gateshead, Hartlepool.
R&D Manager, Lead Engineer, Controls Engineer, Systems Engineer, Firmware, Embedded Systems, Embedded C, Embedded Software, C/C++, Model-Based Design (MBD), Simulink, MathWorks, Matlab, CAN, SIL, MISRA C
This leading highly innovative successful Engineering organisation are seeking an R&D Manager / Lead Engineer to revolutionise the product portfolio and lead the Design & Development of Embedded Firmware Products for Measurement, Instrumentation and Control Devices. The company manufactures Instruments used in appliance testing, biomedical, renewable energy, electronics manufacturing and utility markets.
You may already be an experienced Engineering Manager, R&D Manager, Embedded Software Project Manager or alternatively a Senior Embedded Software Engineer with leadership experience looking for that next step up. You will have great autonomy to develop the existing R&D Engineering team of 12 people into a modern and forward thinking team, driving New Product Development in Firmware for Products that Test Medical Devices and other Control Systems. Some of the product portfolio will be done via Model-Based Design (MBD) for the Internet of Things (IoT) Products. The environment is multi-disciplined in Firmware, Embedded Software Development, PC Development and Electronics Hardware Design.
IDEAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED for the R&D Manager / Lead Engineer include :
* Degree qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science-related discipline
* Knowledge of Model-Based Design (MBD) approaches and tools, particularly the MathWorks / Simulink toolchain, Matlab
* Experience of Embedded Firmware Development, deployed onto and interfacing with bespoke hardware
* Experience of C/C++ languages in real-time embedded systems
* Experience of technical team management and leadership
* Experience of supporting systems engineering processes and software development lifecycle
* Knowledge of industrial communications protocols e.g. CAN or similar.
Desirable skills include :
* Knowledge and experience of embedded products in the Instrumentation, Control or Measurement Sector
* Knowledge of the design of functional safety compliant software and Safety Integrity Levels (SIL)
* Experience of software development to MISRA C or equivalent coding standards and guidelines.
The R&D Manager / Lead Engineer will provide :
* Technical ownership of embedded software for all embedded products, through development and validation of electronic systems in NPD/NPI projects
* Provide leadership in the ongoing introduction of Model-Based Design (MBD) methods using MathWorks/Simulink toolchain, Matlab
* Work closely with other engineering disciplines, especially electronic hardware, to develop modern, innovative and practical solutions
* Support Product Management in Requirements Capture and Customer Engagement
* Support for system integration during development and deliver production ready solutions.
They have a well established Development team and excellent staff retention. This is an excellent challenging opportunity, offering much variety, freedom, control and leadership in developing advanced product devices in a small friendly R&D Dept.